In Him We Live and Move!
Acts 16:28 states: In Him we live and move and have our being. In the Department of Physical Therapy at Hardin-Simmons University, we believe “our being” comes from serving the Lord by utilizing the talents He has given us to promote movement and assist those with disabilities. During the summer of 2020, we will be serving His people in the Abilene community and in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Our purpose is to bring Christ to others through our actions and our words. Locally, we will be building wheel chair ramps, assisting with home repairs for the disabled and evaluating and treating patients. Internationally, we will customize and distribute wheelchairs, walkers, crutches and canes for those who do not have access to the basic needs of mobility.
Can you imagine:
- Never being able to leave your home because you do not have access to the outdoors? What if there was a fire?
- Spending every night and day in bed because your muscle tone will not allow you to sit at table with your family?
- Spending every day of your childhood in bed because you are too heavy for your mom or dad to carry?
- Never leaving home to attend church?
- Never visiting friends?
This is the reality for many individuals who are marginalized in our world due to disability. Those who are the “least of our brothers and sisters” often do not leave their homes because of unmet mobility needs!
Physical Therapy missionaries (students and faculty) will be transformed as well. Our transformation will involve:
- Prayer with the families and family members of those afflicted with a life-long disability.
- Development of a better understanding of “suffering” and its impact on the individual, the family, and society.
- Developing our view of disability as an individualized “ability” provided by God.
- A deeper appreciation that each person we encounter is made in the “image and likeness” of God.
Will you help us train our students to be Christ-like, to share Christ through the gift of mobility and access in Abilene and Thailand? Please support an individual short-term student missionary or our mission work in general. Thank you for making a difference alongside of us!